Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Life in Tucson a Week Later




The first thing I heard from my Father when I woke up late last Saturday was that "Giffords was shot in the head!" My heart sunk and I tuned into the news and found out that Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was not dead but in fact still alive after recieving a close range shot through her head. As the details of the tragic events of my home city unfolded it became chilling that something like this could happen just across the town from where I live. When the medical team at UMC, (the same hospital my youngest brother was born at & I where I have had multiple hospital stays) mentioned that a nine year old girl was killed in this massacre I felt the lump in my throat get bigger.

I can't say that I am a supporter of everything that our Congresswoman stood for politically, but regardless of how I or anyone feels no one deserves to lose their life. It is a miracle of God that the Gabby is alive and as I drove on Sunday past her headquarters on my way to church, I continued to say a small prayer for her full recovery. Although I cannot say that I voted for Barak Obama I can honestly say that I really had wished that I had been in Tucson the night that he came only to be in support of my city that has been wounded so deep. May God bless the victims of thoses who have been killed and heal those who are on their way to recovery!

No comments: